Solid Waste & Recycling

News

Romans staying indoors as waste burns


Roman authorities have urged residents to stay indoors after a blaze at a waste treatment plant in the Italian capital.

Media reports say that TMB waste management facility in the city’s northeast has been completely engulfed by the fire. A dozen teams of firefighters were reported to be trying to manage the conflagration.

Residents are concerned that the smoke, spreading over the city, is toxic, and people have been urged to stay indoors with the windows closed.

According to website The Local Italy, Rome’s garbage has been contentious for some time, and the environment minster said early this year that Italy could face EU sanctions if it did not clean up its act. The company with Rome’s collection contract, Ama, has been accused of failing to keep the streets clean.


Print this page

Related Posts