|Position: SUPERVISOR – SOLID WASTE DISPOSAL
Salary Range: $64,084 – $87,484
Job Code: NU051
File No.: J0314-0578
Type of Position: Full Time
Closing: May 14, 2014
- Manage in compliance with applicable legislation and facility Certificates of Approval, the facilities, equipment, personnel, data collection, finances and contracts associated with the City’s waste disposal facilities and related services, including waste transfer, recycling processing and marketing, green bin organics, leaf and yard waste, and Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste operations;
- Provide associated administrative support to the Manager including budgeting, building and property administration, purchasing, document and contract development and reporting functions;
- Administer contracts for outsourced solid waste management functions;
- Collect data related to tonnage and finances for recycling, MHSW, garbage, and leaf and yard waste;
- Compile internal and external data including budget for MPMP, WDO datacall, Stewardship Ontario and RCO MHSW reports, Ministry and Auditor General surveys, etc;
- Complete annual MOE reports including MRF, MHSW, composting sites, MOE CoA’s and HWIN registrations;
- Coordinate Health & Safety programs including WHMIS training, confined space entry, first aid, forklift training and TDG;
- Track expenses and revenues for invoicing municipal contracts and commercial accounts;
- Manage human resources including scheduling, performance reviews, recruitment, discipline and motivation;
- Authorize accounts payable and administer budget control regimen to ensure expenses and revenues are on track.
- College technology diploma or university technical degree in a waste related field;
- Five years related experience in recycling, and waste management, including three years of demonstrated supervisory experience;
- Experience managing contracts is preferred;
- Knowledge regarding the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Environmental Protection Act and Regulations, Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act, Fire Protection & Prevention Act, Fire Code, and Hazardous Waste Integration Network;
- Must demonstrate corporate competencies: Customer Focus, Results Orientation, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
- Problem solving skills;
- Interpersonal skills including integrity, courtesy, tact and discretion;
- Proficient in spreadsheet design and word processing;
- Must be a Competent Person as defined by the Occupational Health & Safety Act;
- Must be organized and able to multi-task to ensure that deadlines and targets are met;
- Work well individually as well as in a team environment;
- Obtain and maintain a valid class ‘G’ Ontario Driver’s License;
- Must obtain and maintain a satisfactory CPIC (Criminal Record Check), at candidates own expense.
Please visit the website at www.cityofkingston.ca/careers for detailed information on how to apply for externally posted positions.
Your resume must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the position. Please upload to your profile, any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position you are applying to. We thank all of those who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. The City of Kingston is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The City will no longer be accepting applications for external jobs by email, in person, via fax, or by mail.