Waste Management has agreed to pay $70,000 to cover ambulance and medical costs for teachers and students sickened by the odour from a northern Illinois landfill located near the school.
Some 60 students from Cortland Elementary School were allegedly sickened by sudden landfill odour on January 14, 2014. Dozens were treated for exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide.
Since the incident, the school has hired a firm to monitor air quality around the school. For at least a year, the school will receive monthly reports.