Patricia Foster was surprised, if not shocked, when she discovered asbestos in drywall plaster while renovating her Courtenay home to create a granny suite for her mother.
“I felt that it was a moral responsibility to find out all I could as opposed to exposing the contractor and his staff – which included my 22-year-old daughter — to the problem,” the registered nurse said at a presentation at Thursday’s meeting of the Comox Strathcona Waste Management (CSWM) board.
“I see this as an important health issue.”
It becomes an issue when drywall is removed and dust particles released. Before 1990, asbestos was largely used for insulating buildings and homes against cold weather and noise.
It was also used for fireproofing, according to the Government of Canada website. Inhaling asbestos fibres can cause cancer and other diseases.