Call2Recycle Canada has submitted a revised Industry Stewardship Plan to Waste Diversion Ontario (WDO), proposing to extend its collection program for all household batteries in Ontario.
Across Canada, Call2Recycle programs operate on behalf of approximately 200 battery and product manufacturers.
As part of the plan review process, WDO will host two public consultation webinars to discuss the submission. The first session will be held Thursday, October 24, 2013 from 9:30-11:30 a.m.; and the second session is scheduled for Monday, November 4, 2013 from 1:30-3:30 p.m.
To sign up, please click here. (Password: wdo1)
See more here
If given the go-ahead, Call2Recycle Canada would create a provincewide system for recycling both single-use and rechargeable batteries.
Call2Recycle Canada has government approval for similar management in British Columbia, Manitoba and Quebec.
According to Call2Recycle Canada, approximately 80 per cent of single-use batteries enter the market through various retailers, typically supplied as standalone products for use in electronic and electrical products. The other 20 per cent are sold with or inside electronic products.
Conversely, 85 per cent of rechargeable batteries are supplied with or in the products that they power.
In its revised submission on September 8, 2013, Call2Recycle Canada states that:
“With almost approximately 900 public collection locations already operating in the province (the majority of which are retail sites), the existing Call2Recycle program and its retail partners are well positioned to educate consumers and drive collections. The program strives for a standard of 95 per cent of the population to be within 15 kilometers of a public collection site. The current collection footprint includes collection locations in all 23 Ministries plus Queen’s Park. Call2Recycle intends on combining the current Ontario Call2Recycle program collection sites with as many other existing collection sites managed by the current service provider to ensure consumer accessibility and ultimately increase collections beyond current levels. Call2Recycle has extensive experience with municipalities across North America.”
The ISP includes a plan to manage:
- battery chemistries
- batteries, regardless of whether the battery is supplied as a standalone product or embedded in a product
- batteries generated by household consumers and all industrial, institutional and commercial consumers (IC&I).
The ISP does not include a plan to manage:
- motive batteries
- wet cell batteries; and
- batteries weighing more than five kg.